Effective Date: June 1, 2016
We will never send marketing messages to children, and children won’t see any advertisements or links to other websites on our Site. Children cannot communicate with anyone through the Site without express parental permission, and even then only to those Site members that the Parent selects. We will never ask your child to provide any Personal Information to us. Parents and teachers provide us only with a child’s first name, which serves as the username and a selected password.
Summary of Key Points
- The Site is closed, meaning it is password protected and accessible only to registered members.
- Children cannot communicate with anyone on the Site without Parental permission.
- Only those Site members authorized by the Parent—as well as the child’s Parent and, if applicable, the child’s teacher—can see how a child is progressing on the Site.
- Types of Information We Collect.
(a) Account Registration Information. The Site currently offers a login account, described in the Site’s Terms & Conditions. When you register for an Account, we may ask you for certain personal identifying information, such as first and last name, e-mail address, credit card number, and physical address (“Personal Information”). For Family Accounts and Personal Library Accounts, the Parent provides us with the first name, gender and birth date of each child enrolled. For Classroom Accounts, the teacher provides us with the first name, birth date, and gender of each student enrolled.
(b) Refer-a-Friend. You may use our Site tools to invite friends to join our Site; we use the names and email addresses you provide to send the invitation.
(c) Site Usage Information. We collect information on usage of the Site, including users’ Site progress, messaging, music, and artwork.
- Tracking and Technology.
To create your best Site experience and deliver customized content, we and our third-party service providers use a variety of technologies, such as cookies, that automatically collect certain Site usage information, such as browser type, operating system, the page served, and your IP address. If you disable certain technologies, parts of the Site, such as the ability to track your child and/or student’s progress, may not work. When you download and use one of our downloadable applications (“Apps”), we and our service providers may track and collect App usage data, such as the date and time the App on your device accesses our servers and what information and files have been downloaded to the App based on your device number.
- How We Use Personal Information.
We may use the non-personally identifiable information of our users for any legally permissible purpose, but we use Personal Information only in the ways listed here. We may use Personal Information:
- To permit you to register and use the Site, including, for example, to send you communications about your child’s progress or allow you to make use of social media sharing if you wish.
- To understand the learning level of the user in order to further support the user’s learning;
- To provide the user the appropriate games and content relevant to them and for their benefit;
- To provide the user access to adaptive learning content that is contextual to their learning level and requirement in a continuous manner;
- To empower the student/user with information with regards to their own learning;
- To inform, engage and empower the students, their families and educationalists in the learning journey of students/user;
- To have quick access to the Information which will in turn help us to provide our students with a customised learning experience that caters to their preferences;
- With regards to information collected on the EkStep website and portal. We collect and store Information for authentication purposes and in order to study demographic trends and usage patterns of users.
- To complete and fulfill your purchase, such as to process your payments, communicate with you regarding your purchase, and provide you with related customer service.
- For our administrative or internal business purposes, such as to improve our content; research, evaluate, and improve the Site’s educational efficacy; or enable promotional campaigns.
- To respond to your inquiries and fulfill your requests, such as to send you newsletters or retrieve your password.
- To allow you to participate in sweepstakes, contests, and similar promotions and to administer these activities. Some of these have rules that could contain additional information about how we use and disclose your Personal Information.
- Otherwise, as disclosed to you when you provide your Personal Information.
- How Account Administrators Can Access, Change, or Delete Information Provided to the Site.
Every Account has one designated Account Administrator. For Family Accounts, a Parent must always be the Account Administrator when children are added. For Classroom Accounts, a teacher must always be the Account Administrator. All Accounts have management tools, accessible via the ‘My Account’ or ‘Settings’ link on the Site, that permit an Account Administrator to access, change, or delete Personal Information provided to the Site through an Account. For Family Accounts, the Account Administrator may add and remove Account members, as well as link and unlink their Account to other Family Accounts and to the Account Administrator of their child’s Classroom Account. For Classroom Accounts, the teacher who is the Account Administrator may add and remove their individual students, although they should not provide any Personal Information for students. We will make good faith efforts to make requested changes in our then-active databases as soon as reasonably practicable. When you edit or ask to have your Account information deleted, the changed or deleted information may nonetheless persist internally in our databases, for our administrative and recordkeeping purposes. Changing setting options may not result in immediate changes to the settings, which are subject to our operations and maintenance schedules. If a Parent believes that Personal Information of his or her child is on the Site in a manner that the Parent has not authorized, the Parent may contact us as set forth below in Section 8.
- When We Might Disclose Information to Third Parties.
We may share your information, including Personal Information, with third parties who perform certain services for us relating to the Site, such as to process credit cards, administer sweepstakes, or conduct or evaluate research, including on the educational impact of the Site. We may also share your information, including Personal Information, with law enforcement agencies in response to a subpoena, to governmental agencies conducting an investigation, or if otherwise needed to protect the personal safety or property rights of any individual, any of our affiliates, or us. We may share and transfer your Personal Information if all or a portion of our assets are sold or transferred to another company or entity.
- Children’s Privacy Notice.
We do not ask children to provide any Personal Information while using the Site. In compliance with the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act, however, we obtain the consent of Parents in order for children under 13 years of age (“Children” or “Child”) to use the Site in any manner that could result in the Child submitting Personal Information. Additionally, we may link certain information collected through a variety of technologies that automatically collect certain information whenever a Child interacts with the Site, as described in Section 2. To the extent permitted by law, we may also share a Child’s Personal Information:
- With our service providers.
- With a third party in the event of any reorganization, merger, sale, joint venture, assignment, transfer, or other disposition of all or any portion of our business, assets or stock (including in connection with any bankruptcy or similar proceedings).
- As we believe to be necessary or appropriate: (a) under applicable law, including laws outside your country of residence; (b) to comply with legal process; (c) to respond to requests from public and government authorities, including public and government authorities outside your country of residence; (d) to enforce our terms and conditions; (e) to protect our operations or those of any of our affiliates; (f) to protect our rights, privacy, safety or property, and/or that of our affiliates, you or others; and (g) to allow us to pursue available remedies or limit the damages that we may sustain.
Mailing address: Equally, PBC, 300 3rd St, Apt#520, San Francisco, California, 94107, USA Attention:
Telephone Number: +1-4157579296
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Consent to Transfer Information to the United States.
The Site is controlled and operated by us from the United States and is not intended to subject us to the laws or jurisdiction of any state, country, or territory other than that of the United States. Your Personal Information may be stored and processed in any country where we have facilities or in which we engage service providers, and, by using the Site, you consent to the transfer of information to countries outside of your country of residence, including the United States, which may have data protection laws that are different from those of your country. In addition, your Personal Information may be subject to access requests from governments, courts, or law enforcement in the United States, according to laws of the United States.
We seek to use reasonable safeguards to help protect and secure your Personal Information within our organization. Please be aware that no data transmission or storage system can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. We cannot warrant the security of information you transmit to us, and you use our Site and provide us with your information at your own risk. If you have reason to believe that your interaction with us is not secure, please contact us as set forth in Section 6.